Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I don't want to go to work

I am not at work yet and already irritated with the idea of having to go in to the office and seeing my supervisor. I can not stand her! She is so negative about everything and always find something to complain about. I've thought about telling her how negative she is and letting her know that we need to have more support from her. She has had this position for 7 months and this is my 3rd year doing my job, if there was something that I needed to do differently I'm sure someone else would have brought it up to me already. When her position became available I had the opportunity to apply for it, it would have been better pay and easier than my job but I denied it. I love what I do!

We have 2 supervisors that we're suppose to contact if we need any assistance and she reports to our senior supervisor. My buddy and I run the site and have our rec-leaders that w e supervise. Last week the 2nd supervisor resigned from his position. He was the most supportive and reliable of them both. He was a school counselor before he took this job so he approached any situation that we had differently and made us feel supported. So now we're stuck with her!

Sandra always find something negative to say about anything that we talk to her about. When she does site visits it's just to talk to us about something that we're doing wrong. During her visit she does not have any interaction with our kids and never talks to our staff. My staff hates her too! John would come and talk to the kids, ask how their day was and what they were doing? He always pointed out good things that my staff was doing and encouraged them to keep doing a good job. After doing all those things he would talk to me about what he needed to talk about. Sandra is just in and out of our site. I just don't see how a supervisor is going to be so negative and always focus on the most minimal things in the situation. She always has a suggestion on how we could have done things differently. I'm sure many of you have had horrible supervisors but I can honestly say this is my first.

I started to think about this situation and wondered what I can do about it? So I have came up with a positive way to look at this situation and have her to thank her for it. She reminds me how to be a good supervisor all the time. I remember to praise my staff more often for all the good things that they do and try to be more positive all the time. When I have an issue with one of my staff member I remember to point out all the good things that they are doing and then tell them what they need to improve on. I take away all the negativity by focusing on the good things they do and ask for some extra effort on what they are not doing well.

There's always room for improvement and I'm focusing on what I can do differently to make things better.

Now I'm off to work.

4 comments:

RLee said...

I like how you turned your experience with your supervisor into a positive one, taking what you don't like as a reminder of how to improve yourself. Has anyone brought up these points to her directly? She may not even realize the negative effect her actions and attitude is having on those around her. Also, the next time she comes to a site and she focuses only on the things your doing wrong, before she leaves ask her if there was anything she feels that is being handle well in her eyes. She may just have trouble expressing these things to you even though she does recognizes them... or maybe not, but I think it's worth a shot.

Araceli-HUB401 said...

oh, I have pointed out all the great things that are going on when she visits, she just kinda brushes them off "oh, good job." I want to bring it up to her and know that I have to do it soon cause the day I do it may not be in the friendliest way, if you know what I mean. I also told John that I felt she was so negative and he told me that was part of her personality and not to let her negativity affect my day.

I have had the Senior Director out to my site many times and has nothing good to say about the program. We run a unique program because the after school is so active at our site and that is why the Senior Director visits us. We have some of our kids involved in student coucil, Junior Giants baseball, Choir, bible study, 2 math intervention programs and now band. My program is a priority and the kids may be involved in these other activities but we have to keep track of where and when the kids are at. I have even been told that they want to use my program as a pilot program because of how active it is, and yet she finds something negative to say.
But like I said, it helps me be a better supervisor to my staff.

Araceli-HUB401 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Georganna said...

Hey Girl,
Hang in there. I can tell you have a passion for what you do. It's to bad your supervisor is always so negative. I always figure people like that must be unhappy with their job or some situation in their personal life. Try not to let it get you down. Like they say kill her with kindness. I hope your group project is coming along. My group is doing really well communicating and we all finally have the blogging down and I can see you do to. Best of luck with everything:)