Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Summer

While I was at work today I got a phone call from my supervisor. She called to ask me how I felt about working at a middle school rather than an elementary school during the summer. I asked if that was a joke and if it came with a raise, she laughed. She told me that she was looking at the list of people who applied for the summer positions and thought I had seniority and was the "most eligible and MOST CAPABLE" of working at a middle school. Of course I accepted the compliment but also knew that it came with a dilema.

This is the situation: I run an after school program in the SJUSD in Sacramento. My school will not have a summer program. During the school year there are 33 schools that run the after school program but during the summer there are only going to be 10 sites. This means that we have the option of applying for available positions, take a pay cut and or another job during the summer or not work at all. Luckily not all the Site Coordinators apply for the summer job but we still have to compete with the ones who do want to work during the summer to keep our jobs and not take a pay cut during the summer. So now our supervisor has to decide onwho will keep their job and who will take a pay cut. They are willing to keep us as employees as long as we take a pay cut or not be a SC. We are GREAT at what we do and used to running our own site.

My problem is: (1) I really don't want to spend the summer stressed out more than I usually am. I enjoy a challenge but don't know if I realy wan tto deal with all the additional stress that comes with working at a middle school. (2) I have a guaranteed job if I take this position if not have to compete for another job and risk taking a pay cut.

(3) Since I am billingual I already experienced this kind of change earlier this year. I was temporarily moved to another site until they hired someone new and ws at risk of being FORCED to move.
(4) I feel like if my supervisors likes the way I run the site she might move me next year and I prefer to work with elementary school kids.
(5) And last but not least... If I am so great then why don't give me a raise!?

This is my 3rd year at the school I work at and I love working there. I planned on coming back next year and already have new ideas for the next year. I have built great relationships with the administrators, teachers, parents and most importantly the students. Now on the other hand, what if I don't try this out and miss out on a great adventure? I can really learn from this experience.

I have until Friday to tell her my decision.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Well, I hope you were able to make a decision! I can understand your reservations, but at the same time working with middle school kids can be a lot of fun and they are at a point where they really need positive adult role models in their lives. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Shannon said...

Well, I hope you were able to make a decision! I can understand your reservations, but at the same time working with middle school kids can be a lot of fun and they are at a point where they really need positive adult role models in their lives. Good luck with whatever you choose!

lisahub401 said...

Let us know about your decision. I wish you the best. Lidia S.